Dr. Malati Das

Former IAS Officer & Chief Secretary
Planning & Statistics

Dr Malati Das has worked as an IAS officer in the state of Karnataka. She retired as Chief Secretary. As Additional Chief Secretary, Planning and Statistics, she developed the conceptual framework, and managed the preparation of the Karnataka Human Development Report 2005. As Secretary, Women and Child Development, she developed a gender action plan for the state known as the Karnataka Women's Development Plan. Dr. Das has worked with the World Bank as a consultant in Ethiopia, Visiting Professor at the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) Bangalore, and currently she is an advisor with Janaagraha

Dr. S.T. Ramesh

Former DG & IG, Karnataka

Dr S.T. Ramesh worked as an IPS officer in the state of Karnataka. He retired as the DGP of Karnataka in 2011. He was the Central Intelligence Office, Intelligence Bureau, Bangalore, Deputy IG CID, & IG Police Computer Wing & State Crime Record Bureau, where he digitized the crime record of Karnataka. He represented India for various overseas programs related to police & security, including the Atlanta Olympics, 1996. He has also received various accolades viz. the President's Police Medal for Meritorious Service – Independence Day 1995, President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service – Independence Day 2007
  • 2 months ago

What is the IPS and how do we join the IPS?

Posted on September 13, 2017 by A CITIZEN

IPS is short for Indian Police Service. It is one of the three all-India services of the government of India; the other two being the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) and the Indian Forest Service (IFS). It is a general pool from which police officers are drawn and sent out to serve in senior posts all over the country.

First you have to sit for the preliminary examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Dates and venue are published from time to time in local and national newspapers. If you pass that you can sit for the main written examination.

If you clear the written examination you are interviewed by an interview board. When you are selected you are asked to indicate which central service you would like to join - the Foreign Service, the Administrative Service, the Police, Forest or Revenue. Only if you score very high marks will get your choice of service, because allotments to different civil services are merit-based.

  • 2 months ago

How can one become a police officer? - Monthly Question by our Expert

Posted on September 13, 2017 by A CITIZEN OF INDIA

There are three levels at which you can join the force. At the state level you can join either as a constable and go up to Inspector of Police or you can join at Sub-Inspector level and get promoted all the way up to Superintendent of Police in charge of a district.

Constables and sub-inspectors have to take a written entrance test. If you pass you have to go for a physical test. If that is cleared then you are called for an interview. Then you go through a medical check-up to see if you are medically fit and only then is the final selection done.

IPS officers on the other hand are recruited at the central level and ranks begin as Assistant Superintendent of Police.

  • 3 months ago

My dream was to become a Police officer, now I am 29 and completed my graduation. i really don't have anyone to guide to achieve my passion to be a police officer. can you please assist me an opportunity to accomplish my dream.

Posted on August 22, 2017 by Bharath Narayanan

Dear Bharath, in case you are from Karnataka, you can check – provisions in Karnataka- appointment of police sub inspectors (qualifications, age etc) Rules will change from tate to state. So I would request you to find the Police department website similarly for your concerned state

  • 3 months ago

There is big corruption and malpractice in primary agriculture cooperative society under the name of pradhan mantra fisal bima yojana. Neervallur agriculture cooperative society , kanchipuram district, tamilnadu. they are cheating the farmers in insurance claims.corrupation charge againstNEERVALUR PRIMARY AGRICULTURE CREDIT SOCIETYNEERVALUR - 602108 KANCHIPURAM DISTRICTTAMILNADU.

Posted on August 18, 2017 by Rajasekar

Primary agriculture cooperative societies in Tamil Nadu are under the jurisdiction of the Cooperative Department. Since your complaint pertains to a cooperative society in Kancheepuram district, you can make a written complaint to the jurisdictional officer. There are 2 Deputy Registrars in the district:

Deputy Registrar (Chengalpattu),

No.B-83, Azhagesan Nagar,

Chengalpattu-603 001, Kancheepuram District.

Phone : 04427431493

Deputy Registrar ( Kancheepuram),

Ellappa Nagar 3rd Street, (Opp. to Collectorate),

Kancheepuram – 631 501.

Phone : 04427238920

  • 3 months ago

My father in law wants to give Power of attorney to his Son to sell his flat in Mumbai, but every lawyer I spoke to is asking me for the out of pocket expense to please the sub registrar. The flat to be sold is in Mumbai and we are staying in Bangalore. Please help

Posted on August 08, 2017 by Vandana Pandey

On no account should you pay money to the lawyer for “pleasing the sub registrar”. This is a bribe. Registration of property transactions in Maharashtra is transparent as many processes have been digitized. There is public data entry where information can be uploaded online from any place and not necessarily the Sub Registrar’s office. You can also book an appointment with the Sub Registrar online for registering the transaction. There is also provision for anytime and anywhere payment of stamp duty and registration fees. All these procedures have been introduced to speed up the process and prevent corruption.

  • 4 months ago

I live in my own house in Doddabommasanadra, which is situated in Bengaluru-North region. My house currently is a single floor building, hence I have plans to construct one more floor(i.e. making my house a Ground + First floor building) on the existing structure. I kindly request you to provide me with information regarding BESCOM electricity meter and BWSSB water meter for an under construction building.

Posted on August 07, 2017 by Jithin Gopal

For Electricity meter -


12660 or 9844244638, 080-22287118, 080-22287119, 080-22356627

For Water Meter:

Prescribed forms for Water Supply and Under Ground Drainage are available for Rs.100/- each at service stations, Divisional -Executive Engineer and Sub Divisional Assistant Executive Engineer’s office covering your area.

- Prescribed fees vary depending on the size of the plot and height of the building. It includes inspection charges, separate prorata charges for water supply and UGD.

- Documents to be enclosed: road cutting endorsement from BBMP or local body, tax paid receipt, copy of the sanctioned plan issued by BMP/BDA/Gram Panchayat/ or CMC and in some cases even occupancy certificate must be enclosed.

- Application along with other documents can be submitted either directly or through a licensed plumber at the office of the Assistant Executive Engineer, in the concerned sub-division.

- Time limit for delivery of service varies from 7 days to 15 days depending on the size of the plot and the number of floors.

Posted by Dheeman Ghosh , Senior Associate- IPaidABribe

  • 4 months ago

Can anyone become a police officer?

Posted on August 02, 2017 by Bhargava KD

Yes, anyone can become a police officer. However,    you    have    to    fulfill    the conditions and standards laid down for that particular rank. For example, to join as a constable you need to have at least passed high school. To join as a Sub Inspector you need to be a graduate.

  • 4 months ago

Is paperwork involving several officials in availing Public Services a boon or a curse? If we get processes digitized will it necessarily cut down corruption?

Posted on July 18, 2017 by Shivakeshav D

Digitization and minimizing public interface are believed to reduce corruption to a great extent. Governments in the country have been trying to introduce e-governance and digitization in several aspects of governance and delivery of public services. There is still greater scope to implement digitization and meet public expectations.

  • 4 months ago

Sir/Madam. I would like to ask that when i went for police verification he was asking for bribe i said if its official i would pay then he said you have to give this as printing charges we need to incur i said printing you have to do why shall i have to pay he than took documents and also took away the acknowledgment slip and everything even that token slip given during passport office verification. I would be getting the PCC check done or not

Posted on July 16, 2017 by Ankit Rathod

Please post your complaint in detail on

with details such as date of event and name of officer etc.

  • 4 months ago

I am from Palam Vihar. Police officer called to bring the documents along with the police verification form. On submitting all the documents to him with proper information and correct Ids. He asked for Sewa, when i asked what for and how much. He told that it is for verification process and 1000 rupees as Sewa. I was not sure so I told I will come back as he is asking 1000 which is more than the PCC application fee (rs. 500). What should I do?

Posted on July 12, 2017 by Manoj Kumar Arora

This appears to be a bribe demand. Please don’t succumb to the pressure of the police officer. Instead please meet a police officer of the rank of Superintendent of Police or above in your area and explain to him the demand for bribe and your need for getting Police verification done.